When I was approached by the owner of this property to undertake a feasibility study there were 3 key issues which they wanted to address:
- A previous rear extension which did little to connect their open plan family living space with the garden;
- A previous proposal for a side extension which they felt was not in keeping with the existing 1930’s property;
- The rear of the existing property didn’t reflect the clients’ taste for high quality, contemporary design.
I worked with the client to develop a series of design options for the side extension capable of negotiating the transition from traditional construction to the front elevation to a more contemporary form at the rear. We looked at a selection of roof constructions and settled on a simple gable, one side of which ramps up along the existing side wall of the house to form an asymmetric pitched roof at the rear.
The rear of the house reads as a series of 3 volumes unified by their large, glazed openings into the 3 spaces remodelled open plan family room, dining room and home office.
Use of brick, slate roofing and a traditional ledged & braced timber garage door will help the 1930’s frontage blend in to its surroundings on the street.
Retaining the existing wall between the kitchen & dining room gives a degree of separation whilst the glazed link across the rear still enables a free flowing space. A change in floor level going into the new side extension which houses the WC & home office serves to define the threshold into a more private, secluded space.
Continuous glazing & oversized doors facing on to the patio space encourage both a visual and a physical connection between inside & out.
“John provided contemporary ideas and designs that allowed us to achieve our aims whilst also being sympathetic to the age of the property. John is very professional. He has always responded to our mails and phone calls very promptly and kept us updated throughout the planning and approvals process. He is a pleasure to work with and we would not hesitate to recommend his work.”
~ Client testimonial posted on Houzz
- construction type: extension & remodelling
- new / remodelled floor area: 100m²
- concept design complete: September 2016
- appointment type: full design inc. feasibility